An old classic recipe with a modern twist
It’s time to dust off those old dog-eared cookbooks you got from your Mother, or even your Grandmother, and put a modern twist on some classic recipes! Start with a basic recipe and have some fun experimenting with different ingredients. You may surprise yourself with a new family favourite.
There’s a bounty of wonderful, fresh ingredients within reach that our Mom and Grandmothers never had access to. With such an abundance of spices, fresh fruit and vegetables available year round it’s easy to add pep to recipes of days gone by. Cooking can be an adventure when you take a traditional recipe and give it a modern makeover. So put on your apron and add pizzazz to a recipe or two.
My family loves my Santé Fe Salad recipe, so I got creative and put a new flair on my basic recipe. One of the highlights of my recipe is the addition of Tre Stelle®’s high quality premium Feta Cheese.
This recipe makes a great side dish for this summer’s backyard BBQ’s and parties. Easily adaptable to include fresh elements like cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, peas just use your imagination. What about adding some cooked spiral pasta and turning it into a main course? Experiment with a variety of flavours and Tre Stelle® Bocconcini or Tre Stelle® Mozzarella Cheese. Have fun with those old recipes and let your creativity soar. The Art of Cooking is all about using what you have on hand, not following a recipe exactly and adding your own personal touch!
- 1 can (19oz) can black beansrinsed and drained
- ½ red bell pepperdiced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ cupchopped red onion
- 1 can (12oz) kernel cornor use fresh cooked corn from cob
- 1 jalapeño pepperseeded and finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ – 1 cup Tre Stelle® Feta Cheese
- 1/4 cupolive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tspcumin
- salt and pepperabout 1/4 tsp each, or to taste
- Mix together black beans, red pepper, green pepper, onion, corn and jalapeño pepper.
- For Dressing -In small jar mix together olive oil and lime juice.
- Add cumin, salt and pepper and shake well.
- Mix cilantro and Tre Stelle® Feta cheese into salad ingredients.
- Toss together with dressing